United Kingdom Innovator Visa
Business experts who want to start a company in the UK can apply for the Innovator visa.
For Business Starters in the UK
UK Innovator Visa: Eligibility and Application Process
Business veterans who want to start a company in the UK can apply for the Innovator visa. A minimum of £50,000 is often required to launch a firm. You will also require a unique business plan that a credible organisation has reviewed and authorised.
Those granted an Innovator Visa can stay in the UK for up to three years, with the option of extending their stay indefinitely after the initial three years have passed. If you are applying for an innovator visa, your family members under 18 can accompany you to the UK.
UK Innovator Visa Overview
- Set up a business or several businesses
- Work for your business - this includes being employed as a director, or self-employed as a member of a business partnership
- Bring your partner and children with you as dependants if they are eligible
- Travel abroad and return to the UK
- Apply to settle permanently in the UK, if you have lived in the UK for 3 years and meet the other eligibility requirements this is also known as an “indefinite leave to remain”
If your application is successful, you will get a full list of what you can do with an Innovator visa
You can stay for 3 years if you either come to the UK on an Innovator visa or switch to an innovator visa from another visa type while in the UK
- Meet the English language requirement
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be able to prove that you have enough personal savings to support yourself while you’re in the UK
- For anyone willing to set up and run an innovative business in the UK - it must be something different from anything else on the market
- Your business or business idea has been endorsed by an approved body, also known as an endorsing body
- You meet the other eligibility requirements
Royal Migration is one of the most prestigious, Professional, and successful immigration Consultants in the MENA Region (the Middle East and Africa). Thousands of businesses across Europe, The USA, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand owe their successful setups to us. Our track record with over 2 (two) decades of experience says it all. Get in touch with us via the contact form to discuss your business immigration options with our consultants.
On this page
UK innovator visa eligibility
You must be able to show that your business idea is:
- Novel – you cannot join a business that is already trading
- Innovative – you must have an original business idea which is different from anything else on the market
- Viable, with potential for growth
- You must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English
If you’re not eligible for an Innovator visa you may be eligible for another type of visa to work and live in the UK. Fill out the contact form to get help from an immigration consultant at Royal Migration.
UK innovator visa requirements
- Provide an ‘endorsement letter’ to show that an endorsing body has assessed your business or business idea
- A valid passport or other documents that shows your identity and nationality
- Pay the health care surcharge as part of your application
- Bank statements showing you’ve had at least £1,270 in savings in your bank account for 28 consecutive days before you apply
- Proof that you meet the English language requirement
- Evidence of your investment funds (if you’re setting up a new business)
- Your tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test
- If your documents are not in English or Welsh, you will need to provide a certified translation
- You will need a blank page in your passport for the affixation of your visa if you are from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein or from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein but do not have a biometric passport with a chip in it
- You will also need to have your biometric information If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your situation
UK innovator visa application process
How you apply depends on whether you are from outside the UK and are coming to the UK, inside the UK and extending your current visa or inside the UK and switching from a different visa.
In either case, Royal Migration has the best Innovator Immigration consultants and lawyers to get you the results you desire. More than 252,000 authentic visas have been successfully processed by Royal Migration in two decades. Start the visa application process by filling out the contact form.
Tip: You can include your partner and children in your application to stay in the UK if they are eligible.
Getting a decision
Once you have applied, proved your identity, and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision on your visa in approximately 3 weeks, if you are outside the UK or 8 weeks if you are inside the UK.
You will be contacted if your application will take longer, for example:
- If you are applying with a family member who needs an appointment, but you do not
- If your supporting documents need to be verified
- If you need to attend an interview
- Because of your circumstances, for example, if you have a criminal conviction
If you need to go for an appointment, you may be able to pay for a faster decision. How you do this depends on whether you are outside or inside the UK. Contact Royal Migration if you need help in getting a faster decision.
After you apply
You will get an email or a letter containing the decision on your application. This will explain what you need to do next.
Your partner and children
Your partner and child(ren) can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.
A dependant partner or child is any of the following:
- Your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner
- Your child under 18 – including if they were born in the UK during your stay
- Your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your
Child(ren) born in the UK
If you have a child while in the UK, they do not automatically become a British citizen.
You can apply for their dependant visa. You must do this if you want to travel in and out of the UK with your child.
You will need to provide a full UK birth certificate for each child, showing the names of both parents.
Questions? You’re covered
If you want to stay longer in the UK, you can apply to extend your stay for another 3 years when your visa is due to expire. There is no limit on the number of times you can extend.
You may be able to apply for settlement once you’ve been in the UK for 3 years.
You can usually apply to extend an Innovator visa if both of the following apply-you meet the eligibility requirements and you are still running a business in the UK or want to set up a new one.
Your partner or child(ren) will need to apply separately to extend their visa. They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires.
You might be able to apply to switch to an Innovator visa if you are already in the UK on a different type of visa. Your partner or children will need to apply separately to switch their visas. They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires. You should apply before your current visa expires. You can stay for 3 years after switching to an Innovator visa.
Your visa may be cut short if your endorsement is withdrawn by the endorsing body. If you want to stay longer, you must re-apply with a new endorsement before your current visa expires.
Eligibility Check - UK innovator visa
Are you eligible for the UK innovator visa ?
To qualify for an Innovator visa, you should be at least 18 years old and satisfy UK Visas and Immigration requirements. Contact us to discuss your eligibility with one of our business immigration consultants.